Below is a guide for which roles we recommend classifying in each job category for the Great Colleges program:
- Exempt Professional Staff
- Non-exempt Staff
- Business & Financial Operations
- Instructional Staff
- Public Service
- Librarians, Curators, and Archivists
- Computer, Engineering, and Science
- Community Service, Legal, Arts, and Media
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical
- Student and Academic Affairs and Other Education Services
- Service Occupations
- Office and Administrative Support
- Natural Resources, Construction, and Maintenance
- Production, Transportation, and Material Moving
Administrators have assignments which require management of the institution, or a customarily recognized department or subdivision thereof. Assignments require the performance of work directly related to management policies or general business operations of the institution, department or subdivision. Assignments in this category customarily and regularly require the incumbent to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
Faculty have assignments for the purpose of conducting instruction, research or public service as a principal activity (or activities).
Exempt Professional Staff perform academic support, student service and institutional support. Exempt Professional Staff are not subject to FLSA overtime provisions and are paid an annual salary for all hours worked. Exempt employees include, but are not limited to, the following: professionals; those who exercise independent judgment and discretion in their roles; and/or those who manage other people.
Non-exempt Staff can be hourly or salaried. They are typically administrative, operational or production employees.
Adjunct Faculty (whether full-time or part-time) are only included for participating Associate/Community Colleges.